SEEKONK — A fairly new museum is preserving the history of the town’s fire department.

The Seekonk Fire Museum is located in the former fire station at 211 Newman Ave. (Route 152), where fire headquarters had been situated for decades.

A chief attraction is a 1932 fire truck, which was used by Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence for several years.

The museum also contains all kinds of firefighter and fire department memorabilia, including equipment, helmets, and even the siren which sat on top of the building.

One room is loaded with trophies won by firefighters at various “muster” competitions.

There are also photographs of the World Trade Center site after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. A few Seekonk firefighters assisted with rescue operations at the scene.

The museum opened its doors to past and present members of the fire department last October. It was opened to the public in November.

“It’s a lot of history,” said Bill George, president of the Central Volunteer Fire Association.

Newspaper clippings dating back to 1930 adorn the walls of the museum and recall the construction of the fire house that was built in 1929, the same year that the Central Volunteer Fire Association was formed.

The museum will be open the first Saturday of every month until September.

Joseph S. Siegel can be reached at joesiegel@jswhite.com

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.