Waxy O’Connors has closed its doors for good in Foxboro.
After the health department shut down the Irish pub for what it said were repeated health code violations, Waxy’s corporate team made the “regretful decision to officially suspend operations at its Foxboro location indefinitely,” the company said in a statement on its Facebook page for the Foxboro location.
The pub had been open at the 121 Main St. location for 10 years.
“As a result of the punitive measures imposed by the town over Christmas and the New Year, and after sincere thought and consideration, Waxy’s has decided that, due to the unexpected disruption to the restaurant’s operations, it is impossible to continue doing business at our Main Street location when lost revenue, reputational damage and associated commercial ramifications are considered,” the statement said.
The bar-restaurant was closed last month by the health department for a number of violations and no one from town has heard from the owners or management since.
Waxy O’Connor’s was cited for violations such as not having a person in charge trained in the handling of food, mold on a refrigerator and other problems.
The violations followed problems early last year that the restaurant was told to hire a consultant to help straighten out.
Health director Pauline Zajdel said usually when an establishment is closed, the owners get in touch with town hall right away to speed up the process of reopening.
No so with Waxy’s, she said, explaining that the only communication from the business was a Dec. 28 message that they would be in touch soon.
The closure was frustrating for some area residents like Frank Denisi of Attleboro who was recently given a gift certificate to Waxy O’Connor’s as a birthday present. The problem is, the Irish bar closed shortly after he received it.
Now he is wondering what is happening with the gift certificate and the money used to buy it. Denisi said he emailed the establishment but got no reply.
Waxy’s statement disputed the health department’s findings, saying, “ Our entire team has worked tirelessly with an eye toward establishing the highest standards in our restaurant.”
The statement said the company will attempt to help staff find other employment and is working with the building’s landlord group to find another tenant for the space.
“Waxy’s is privileged to have been a part of the Foxboro and surrounding communities over the past decade, be that hosting the many talented live acts that have played in our famous band room, hosting charity events and fundraisers, to celebrating with our beloved Patriots players, coaches and officials and their families after their many big wins. It has been a pleasure to share in the celebrations that took place over countless lunches, dinners, birthdays, anniversaries and many other special occasions. Our deepest sympathies go out to those who have been affected by this situation,” the statement said.