Mass state police cruiser (copy)

SHARON — A Wrentham man was ordered held in jail without bail Monday on charges related to a deadly car crash on Route 1 near the Foxboro line Sunday night.

The suspect, Nicholas Snyder, 22, will be held in jail pending a dangerousness hearing Wednesday in Stoughton District Court, according to the Norfolk County district attorney’s office.

He faces charges including motor vehicle homicide by negligent operation and assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, authorities said.

Snyder was the driver of a 2020 Nissan Altima that was allegedly traveling North on Route 1 at a high rate of speed before it collided with the rear of a Subaru Outback on Route 1 at Old Post Road in Sharon about 8 p.m. Sunday, state police said in a press release.

Killed in the crash was Kevin Earley, 21, of Sharon, who was driving the Subaru, according to the Norfolk County district attorney’s office.

Earley is the son of retired Sharon firefighter Timothy Earley.

Moments before the crash, a witness told troopers the Nissan was allegedly traveling erratically north on Route 1 in Foxboro, David Procopio, a state police spokesman, said.

Around the same time state police received that call, a trooper assigned to a road detail on Route 1 North in Foxboro saw the Nissan pass him in a work zone “at an extremely high rate of speed,” Procopio said.

Investigators say the car reached speeds of up to 100 mph, according to WCVB Channel 5 in Boston.

The car almost struck a worker on the detail who had just entered his truck mere seconds earlier, according to Procopio.

The trooper pulled out of the work zone in an attempt to catch up to the Nissan but state police terminated the pursuit before the crash occurred, according to Procopio.

After striking the Subaru, Snyder’s car crossed into the southbound lane where it struck a Dodge Durango SUV, Procopio said.

The driver of the Durango suffered non-life threatening injuries, according to state police.

Snyder also suffered non-life threatening injuries and was treated at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston before being released to state police custody.

In a statement, the Sharon firefighters union said, “Our deepest sympathies and condolences are with the entire Earley family during this difficult time.”

The union is raising funds for the Earley family to help with the funeral costs and says all the money raised will go to the family.

Donations can be made by cash or check made out to The Sharon Firefighters Association. The donations should be sent to the Sharon Firefighters Association, 211 South Main Street, Sharon, MA 02067.

“Please keep the Earley family in your thoughts through this challenging situation,” the statement said.

Timothy Earley is a lifelong Sharon resident who served on the fire department for over 25 years, according to the union.

The crash remains under investigation by state police at the Foxboro barracks, the collision analysis and reconstruction section, crime scene services and the Norfolk County district attorney’s office.

Sharon police and fire also assisted.

David Linton may be reached at 508-236-0338.