BOSTON — Prosecutors today will ask a judge to sentence a key figure in the state's $9.4 million Treasury embezzlement scheme to up to eight years in prison.
Richard C. Arrighi, a former Attleboro resident, was scheduled to be sentenced today after pleading guilty last month to concealing stolen property, conspiracy, and eight counts related to income tax evasion and filing false returns.
Investigators from the attorney general's office are recommending the lengthy sentence as well as nearly $700,000 in restitution and fines.
“ He perverted our political process; he made a mockery of the public trust; and he wantonly stole public money and then spun an ever-changing web of deceit,” prosecutors said in a sentencing memorandum filed in Suffolk Superior Court.
Arrighi's lawyer, Joseph Balliro Sr., did not return a phone call from the Associated Press Tuesday evening.
Another figure in the case is expected to appear in court Wednesday.
Martin Robbins, who prosecutors say helped steal $6.5 million from the treasury's unclaimed check fund, is expected to plead guilty to a larceny charge, an official in the attorney general's office said.
Robbins' lawyer, Richard Egbert, did not return a phone call from The Associated Press Tuesday evening. Robbins' home phone number is unlisted.
Arrighi, 43, devised a web of accounts and trusts to launder $1.6 million stolen from the Treasury between 1992 and 1999, prosecutors said.
The money was taken from the Unpaid Check Fund, which is used to cover checks the state had issued to residents but which had not been cashed.
Arrighi, who now lives in Dover, was also a top fund-raiser and personal lawyer for former Treasurer Joseph D. Malone.
Prosecutors said in court documents that Arrighi had “ unlimited access and influence” with Malone and played a “ unique and leading role” in the thefts.
Investigators said Arrighi created real estate trusts and transactions to hide the theft. The money was funneled through the Clark's Pond condominium development in Waltham.
Former Deputy Treasurer Robert E. Foley of Waltham and other officials conspired with Arrighi and others to fake claims against the fund, which Foley controlled, prosecutors said.
Arrighi's plea came after co-conspirator, Ronald A. Borino, cut a deal with prosecutors that included testifying against Arrighi.
The judge overseeing the case indicated he might give Arrighi a sentence of about 18 months, similar to Borino.
That would be unfair because Arrighi agreed to cooperate only after Borino revealed incriminating evidence, prosecutors said. Arrighi also played a more central role and worked harder to cover up his participation, they said.
Details of the theft first emerged in February 1999, just after Malone left office. Malone has not been implicated in the thefts.
Foley and John “ Trixie” Trischitta, of Everett, agreed to cooperate with authorities in exchange for recommendations of no more than seven years for Foley and five years for Trischitta.
Investigators have recovered most of the $9.4 million. Seven men have been charged in the case.