MANSFIELD — Ron Stanovitch, the mechanic seriously burned in a Sept. 25 explosion at the gas station and auto repair shop where he worked for decades, has died, family members said Wednesday.
Stanovitch, 64, died Tuesday night at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston after battling six weeks to overcome his injuries, his older brother John said.
Ron Stanovitch suffered burns over 75 to 80 percent of his body in the explosion at Cannan Fuels Gas Station and Auto Repair, located on the corner of Hope Street and Route 106.
He was working with a blowtorch on a car at the time, and the explosion ignited a fire throughout the business.
Co-workers carried Stanovitch out of the burning building.
The explosion was sparked by fumes from a 55-gallon drum containing an alcohol-based windshield washer fluid, which ignited near where Stanovitch was working, according to the state Fire Marshal’s Office.
“We lost a good person,” said his nephew John Stanovitch Jr., who thanked the community for its outpouring of support, thoughts and prayers for the family.
“It was good to see the community come together,” he said.
He also thanked the doctors and nurses at Mass General.
“The care at Mass General was superb. They took good care of him,” the nephew said.
Ron Stanovitch lived with his wife, Deborah, in West Mansfield. They raised two children.
He spent decades fixing cars, even going to people’s homes like a doctor making house calls. He knew everyone and had numerous customers, his brother said after the explosion.