Morins

Attleboro firefighters return to their vehicles after clearing the scene where smoke was reported in the basement of Morin’s restaurant. Police had closed a section of South Main Street to traffic during the event Thursday afternoon.

ATTLEBORO — A block of busy South Main Street in the city’s downtown was closed for a brief time mid-Thursday afternoon as firefighters investigated smoke in the basement of Morin’s restaurant.

The smoke was apparently caused by an electrical issue and the block and the restaurant were reopened in less than 30 minutes.

Deputy Chief Dennis Perkins said firefighters responded to the scene around 2 p.m. and had to search the upper floors of the building and adjacent building because they have a shared basement space.

The busy lunchtime hours were just winding down at the restaurant when the smoke was noticed.

No problems were found.

Police blocked access to part of South Main Street, from Mill Street to Park Street, to prevent traffic from going by the scene.

Jim Hand may be reached at 508-236-0399 or jhand@thesunchronicle.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TSCpolitics.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.