WRENTHAM — Three King Philip Regional High School students became ill late Tuesday morning after eating candy believed to be edible marijuana.
Police Chief Bill McGrath said the students were not in any danger but were taken to a hospital to be evaluated.
The incident was reported about 11 a.m. No charges were immediately filed, McGrath said.
Police and school officials are investigating the incident and say the three students were the only ones who became ill.
The police chief posted an item about the incident on the department’s Facebook page, explaining why ambulances were at the school.
In a letter to students and their families, Principal Lisa Mobley reminded that drugs of all kinds are prohibited inside or outside of school.
“Edible products are easily confused as candy and snack items, and we encourage you to have open and honest conversations about the risks and dangers of these products,” Mobley wrote.
It was unclear if the students who consumed the marijuana edibles will face any disciplinary action.